News and notes from the world of classic TV:
- Classic TV diginet Antenna TV will be adding a bunch of sitcoms to their lineup in 2017, mostly 80s and 90s fare along with a couple obscure classics from the 60s. Joining the lineup: 227, Alice, Becker, Good Morning World (1967-68 starring Ronnie Schell and a pre Laugh-In Goldie Hawn), Growing Pains, Head of the Class, The Hogan Family, The Joey Bishop Show (1961-65), Murphy Brown, My Two Dads and What’s Happening!!
- NBC-owned classic TV digital network Cozi TV picks up a trio of NBC classics that last aired on MeTV. Getting Cozi in January: Columbo (Weekends), Emergency! (1PM Weekdays) and The Rockford Files (12N Weekdays).
- The classic black-and-white sitcom The Dick Van Dyke Show will follow in fellow B&W sitcom I Love Lucy’s footsteps. CBS will air two back-to-back episodes of DVD in color at 8PM Eastern tonight (Sunday Decemmber 11). “That’s My Boy??” and “Coast to Coast Big Mouth” were chosen by series creator and co-star Carl Reiner.
- There have been more losses of classic TV favorites in recent weeks: actor Don Calfa (guested on Barney Miller, Kojak, Streets of San Francisco), actor Ron Glass (Barney Miller), comic actor Milt Moss (best known for saying “I can’t believe I ate that whole thing” in a classic Alka-Seltzer TV commercial), producer/network executive Grant Tinker (The Bob Newhart Show, Hill Street Blues, The Mary Tyler Moore Show, WKRP in Cincinnati), actor Fritz Weaver (guested on such classics as Hawaii Five-0, Mannix, Rawhide, The Twilight Zone) and actor Van Williams (The Green Hornet, Surfside 6).
Classic TV diginet MeTV has unveiled their new winter programming schedule, highlighted by the returns of Leave It To Beaver (from competitor Antenna TV) and CHiPs, plus the MeTV debut of the 1985-92 action-adventure series MacGyver.
The weekday lineup changes are as follows (all times Eastern):
- 7:30AM Beverly Hillbillies (Replacing Petticoat Junction)
- 8:00AM Leave It To Beaver (Replacing Beverly Hillbillies)
- 8:30AM Leave It To Beaver (Replacing Beverly Hillbillies)
- 1:00PM Gunsmoke (The original half-hour episodes, replacing the 60-minute version)
- 1:30PM Gunsmoke (The original half-hour episodes, replacing the 60-minute version)
- 4:00PM CHiPs (Replacing Emergency!, which is moving to MeTV competitor Cozi TV)
- 5:00PM MacGyver (Replacing Emergency!, which is moving to MeTV competitor Cozi TV)
- 9:00PM MacGyver (Replacing Happy Days and Gilligan’s Island, which will now air weekends only)
- 2:00AM Mannix (Replacing Kojak)
- 3:00AM Ironside (Replacing MeTV Mystery Movie)
- 4:00AM 77 Sunset Strip (Replacing MeTV Mystery Movie)
Weekend additions include the James Garner western Maverick (10AM Saturdays), 1989-2003 episodes of Columbo (8PM Sundays…the 1970s version moves to Cozi TV) and the cult classic horror-mystery series Kolchak: The Night Stalker (10PM Sundays). The latter stars Darren McGavin, best known by modern audiences as the dad on A Christmas Story.
Both CHiPs and MacGyver launch Monday December 19. The rest of the changes take effect January 2, 2017. Find the full schedule here.
What’s Here: 77 Sunset Strip, CHiPs, Columbo (90s), Gunsmoke (1/2 hr), Ironside, Kolchak: The Night Stalker, Leave It To Beaver, MacGyver, Mannix, Maverick
What’s Outta Here: Columbo (70s), Daniel Boone, Emergency!, Kojak, MeTV Mystery Movie, Petticoat Junction